View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #350
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So...Thanos' ethos was that there were too many mouths to feed and not enough food to go around so half of the Universe had to die.

Cool. I'm on board so far.

But there is space travel and apparently sufficient extraneous resources where destroying the odd planet here and there wasnt significantly impacting supply despite a clear perception of demand.

I mean, doesnt it make more sense for Thanos to found an inter-Galactic shipping company than to kill half of the inhabitants of the Galaxy?

The half that were left were just going to go at it like rabbits just like the last group did and you're eventually just going to end up in the same spot.

Perhaps an inter-Galactic 'Skip The Dishes' or 'Meals on (Spacecraft) Wheels?'

Remember, this is a guy (Titan) that is feeding an enormous army and consuming significant galactic resources to reduce a Galactic population to his perception of 'sustainable levels' which, I might add, he did not really provide alot of research or backup documentation for, it was very literally entirely anecdotal experience on 1 planet.

His entire premise is flawed in a perceptibly infinite Galaxy with incalculable resources.

So it was clearly just an excuse to rationalize his unquenchable bloodlust.
He could just as easily have doubled the amount of resources with that snap. Or imbued everyone in the universe, even those not yet born, with a deep understanding of and interest in sustainability. Or just make everyone less materialistic, more cooperative and less fertile. He could literally have done anything else.

What Thanos did was at best setting the clock back a bit. In Earth, the number of resources spent likely got rolled back less than fifty years.

So yeah. Ultimately he was just fixated on killing people. I wouldn't necessarily call it bloodlust though? Maybe more just narrow-mindedness, obsession and megalomania.

In the comics Thanos just wanted to impress the (female) personification of Death who he had the hots for. (It didn't work.) In that story killing half of everyone made more logical sense, although made Thanos more pathetic and less interesting IMO. So I liked this version more. Plus it's obviously more topical.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote