View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #77
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhog View Post
In that case, are we better off saving on the insurance and just treating any potential issues with the puppy in the same manner?

Aside from that, I've never owned a dog before (although my wife has). Any general tips for a new dog owner? (not to derail the thread, but the advice for Corsi's new cat seemed very helpful)
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I think it's pretty clear which category you fall into. I don't have pet insurance and I'm not rich or anything, but I have savings and plans in place. Too many people though have no plan other than setting up a gofundme page.

Getting your puppy in the summer is definitely preferable. I can't imagine trying to house train in the winter! One thing to really be aware of is vaccinations. Be very careful about where you take your puppy before he has completed all his vaccinations. Pet stores and parks are breeding grounds for bad germs.

Dogma has some good puppy classes and socialization ones, some of which are free, that you might want to check out if you are new to having a puppy.

http://www.dogmatraining.com/trainin...p-classes/pups
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote