View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #66
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
We used to have a cat we got from Petland.

He cost us a ton of money over the years in $200-$500 vet bills here and there (never did the insurance route). He was ultimately diagnosed with feline leukemia. We were given the option of doing a bone marrow transplant for like $5K that "might" have saved his life.

Ultimately, we decided to let nature run its course, rationale being, yes he is a good pet and we love him, but at the end of the day he is still an animal.

With that said, we adopted a cat from the meow foundation 6 years ago, and she is still going strong, with no pet insurance and no health issues. Luck of the draw I guess.

I won't ever pay for pet insurance, but that is only my personal choice/opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard that the deductible/copay and limited coverage can make the insurance less worthwhile.

An option that you could consider is putting away a "pet fund" - ie depositing some money every month to ensure that if an emergency happens that you've got some money in the bank for it.
I've done what is suggested here. I have a budget for potential pet expenses but haven't gotten insurance due to the cost and horror stories of being denied coverage. What do you know pet insurance companies are just like regular insurance companies.

Despite liking my cat very much, I also realize she's an animal, one saved from a life of scrounging for food on the streets no less, and I'm prepared to walk away from any vet bills that are beyond my budget. It is unpleasant to think about but IMO necessary.

To compensate for being off topic here is a picture of my sister's cat, Tulla. I think she's a rag doll. A bit of a freak with all the spots.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-07-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: