View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #180
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I have a BA. In Economics. I had to take stats and math courses all the way through to my final years. I know the value of what I learned. But it does irk me that my degree says Bachelor of Arts not Bachelor of Science. I did a lot of f***in math for an arts degree. But that’s just what the school I was in offered. Apparently some schools offer Econ degrees as BSc. U of C didn’t at the time. When I started they did, (if you took enough science/math electives) but that program changed part way through.
Econ is definitely not a hard science degree. As someone with a biology degree, I'm equally irked about the watering down of the BSc.

I don't think there's anything lesser with an arts degree, but it is a different style of training and education. A lot of people associate all arts degrees with the plethora of students graduating with psych/sociology/antro/etc.... Degrees. These degrees can be valuable too, but are generally much easier to again and where students who fail out of other degrees end up. They have a bit of a bad stigma, which I think could be corrected if universities began limiting enrollment in these subjects. Once again I'd like to see more centralized control from the government here. Particularly if the government is going to continue subsidizing these courses so heavily.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote