View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #569
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
That's a vacation for 1, assuming a 1/2 decent deal can be found. Like Cuba, I've usually spent more per trip. But I went to a friend of a friend's wedding in Jamaica for $1600 and paid in WestJet dollars. So it depends but I've done all inclusive for a week in Mexico for much less too.

I put everything possible on my card, about 2.5k/month or 30k/year. Travel charges to the card you earn 2% instead of 1.5, so if I'm taking advantage of the companion flight every year plus maybe another trip and then I pay the flights and hotel for the free checked bag and they just pay me cash, so another 6-8k/year at 2%.

30k * 1.5% = 450 WestJet dollars
8k * 2.0% = 160

so ~610 WestJet dollars per year give or take.
Don't forget the companion flight - that is an important consideration. If you are single that doesn't help as much. Moneysense found it to be the best overall reward card (as long as you want travel benefits). I use it for business expenses as well as general personal, so I put $15-20k/month on it - that is a lot of "free" travel. I use the Capital One Costco M/C for restaurants (3%) and the Scotia cashback for gas/groceries/recurring bills. That has been the best 3 combination for years, and I have not heard of any better options. Mind you, you have to shop at Costco and fly on WJ for the benefits.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote