View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #155
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The flames were never in a position to negotiate a contract with stone because they lacked sufficient cap space to sign the contract.

Vegas gave themselves flexibility by letting Neal walk away and the Flames crippled their ability to make a major deadline acquisition by signing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So it's a two pronged complication.

As I understand it, they would not have had the tagging room because of the pending bonuses potentially owed. I believe bonuses count until such a point as they are no longer achievable but getbak will probably correct me here.

The other part here is risk: if you have to move Neal and Mike stone to afford to re-sign Mark Stone, you're taking on SUBSTANTIAL risk that you will be able to move those contracts prior to July 1st when tkachuk can be offersheeted.

Neal's contract removed any flexibility the flames had. Trading for stone without subtracting Neal would've been a disaster, which is why Neal to Ottawa was a major component of the deal. Even now, Neal's contract is a huge problem for the flames to navigate around. They would be able to keep Frolik AND Brodie if Neal wasn't on the roster.

A big reason those contributing valuable roster players have to move is because of a non contributing no value (non)roster player.

If you trade for stone without subtracting Neal you can't sign him to an extension right away which increases the risk he reaches this courting period without a deal which basically guarantees he's a goner.

That was the 'not moving valimaki for a rental' argument. The price for making stone not a rental was 2x1sts, valimaki and Andersson to absorb Neal.

Based on what the leafs paid to drop a single year of Marleau, 2x1sts + Andersson may have been a relatively cheap price for Neal.
Vegas tried to acquire stone in the summer preceding the deadline but Ottawa would not do the deal, so vegas kept their cap situation fluid in anticipation of acquiring him through the year if he became available.

Ultimately the flames could not do any deal for Mark Stone to guarantee he wouldn't be a rental without offloading Neal. Am extension with Calgary was simply not possible unless the flames could move out a major salary at the same time as acquiring stone and Ottawa would not accept salary in return for any of their deadline deals.

Ultimately I believe the flames were willing to part with multiple 1sts and one of Valimaki or Andersson but Ottawa simply would not do it if it meant adding Neal which is why Maloney said they went to bed thinking they had something major done.

From there discussions ceased and the Flames looked at a cost controlled asset in Zucker as a plan B. This removed the need and risk involved in with dealing with tagging room as Minnesota was willing to take Frolik in the deal, but again something on Calgary's end also scuttled that deal.

My speculation being that there was a breakdown in communication between levels of management within the flames organization that had been previously reported in other potential acquisition scenarios during Trelivings tenure leading him to be "white hot" about this problem occuring yet again.

Considering that information comes from a reporter with deep access in the Minnesota organization in an article burying the general manager, I'm inclined to accept that information as more or less true.

It's admirable that the flames owners are always willing to spend to the cap but its also not always prudent management.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote