View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #666
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Interesting sentiment, I think there is a well established philosophical basis for completely changing something without change its specific property of being. Tell me how many of current your arm cells existed with your body a few years ago? The answer is of course 0, but you still consider it the same arm.

While brain cells are not typically replaced. Would it really be all that different if you got into more of an Altered Carbon, cybernetic scenario?

What if they cybernetics are seamlessly integrated into the biological cells, constantly copying and interacting with the living cells, replacing them as they die?
What is it is one cell at a time, maybe few dozen an hour over the course of dozens of years, without a loss in continuity?
At what point do you draw the line between biological, cybernetic & synthetic?
The ship of Theseus thought experiment. That's tough, because it's a simple concept in a much more complex scenario. I suppose it all depends on where you theorize personal identity exists. For me, it resides in the mind...which is the brain.

I suppose if you could maintain biological function while integrating synthetic components there is more leeway. I still think that you need to retain certain core biological brain functions (which of those might be I do not know) in order to maintain consciousness.

Either way, how they are portraying it in the show, and Altered Carbon, IMO, isn't a true transition. The Ford in season 2 isn't the same Ford in season 1, for example. It is a distinct digital copy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: