View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #97
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have two boys in high school, and another who just turned 21—he is still at home, but working. About six weeks ago one of my boys's friends came to our house because he was fighting with his parents. We have attempted to build a relationship with these people for the last year, but have found it extremely difficult because of how paranoid they are of everything, and because they are convinced that my kid is an instigator of trouble. Anyhow, they insisted that their 15-year-old son come home. He did not want to go. They were exasperated at us for not sending him away, but in our minds we thought he was most likely better off in our house than he would be wandering around the streets. They threatened to call the police, and then insisted they were coming over to get him. The father stormed up to my door and demanded his kid come home. My wife told him not to enter the house. They screamed and complained for 25 minutes, and again threatened to call the police. At this point I went ahead and called 9-1-1. Three squad cars showed up with lights and sirens to diffuse the situation, and everyone on my block noticed. It was embarrassing.
I can't think very many things that would make me angrier than the parents of a kid I didn't like not giving me my kid. Like, you're upset they were angry with you, but they had an insanely legitimate reason to be angry with you. And they got angrier the longer you stonewalled them? Well yeah, you continued doing the thing to them that would make literally any parent on the planet super angry.

Was there evidence of abuse or something that led you to believe it was rational of you to withhold their child? If so, you should have called the police right away. If not, how could you think it was reasonable to not give their kid back?

Finally, when you say the police diffused things, how did it resolve? If it resolved by them returning the kid to the parents, it was your behaviour that needed diffusing. Curious to know what the resolution was here because I think that will be telling with respect to who was right and who was wrong from the perspective of an objective party that was actually there (the police).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote