View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #34
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Backlund had two years left, hadn't signed his extension. Oilers were also taking on almost six million in dead weight in Dennis Wideman for a season as well. The second round pick given up by Edmonton was 32nd overall. Flames drafted Tyler Parons and Dillion Dube later in the 2nd at 54 and 56. It's not just moving up two spots, it's a high 2nd and taking on a big dead weight contract. To me the value is tough but fair.

Glad it worked out the way it did but happy Treliving was willing to move for the guy they saw as a potential star. Some of us are only going "no way is this true!" because we ended up with Tkachuk by just drafting him but if we had missed out and this information came out.. we'd be lamenting missing out on him.
I find the tweet hard to believe because it intimates that Keller was part of the consideration of making that trade up to #4...

the top two were locks in Matthews and Laine. After that, based on MacKenzie's average of scout's rankings:

3 Poolparty
4 Tkachuk
5 PLD
6 Juolevi
7 Nylander
8 Keller
9 Sergachev

I just find it unlikely that Keller would have jumped past Poolparty, PLD and Juolevi if Tkachuk was gone in the first 5 picks. Jumping up for Tkachuk? That's definitely possible, but the tweet makes it seem like it was an 'either or' for the two...

there was discussion, but my understanding the talks were with CBus

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-23-2019 at 06:51 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote