View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The AHL currently features 5 team divisions.

Everyone got a good laugh when I suggested Alaska as the future AHL partner for Calgary.

The AHL is going to stay capped at the number of NHL teams. If Seattle and Quebec get NHL expansion that could make things easier. But lets just talk about the existing teams.

Calgary owns an AHL franchise. They use the Partnership model with Abbotsford and currently have one of the best deals in all of professional sports. However this contract is soon to be expiring. I'm still supporting Anchorage as the "western" partner for Calgary.

Vancouver has a 6 year Partnership model deal with Utica. The Utica deal includes an escape clause for the Canucks and one could see Abbotsford being the likely prefered landing spot for this franchise.

San Jose controls the Partnership model with Worcester. I'm not sure how long they are in contract with Worcester but having control of the AHL franchise makes the west a possibility. Fresno would be a good landing spot for the team. Stockton is closer but something is fishy about Stockton and going into Fresno the Sharks would have a moderately fresh canvas to work with.

LA kings own AHL Manchester and ECHL Ontario. Swap them out. Help build a strong Northeast ECHL division in the process.

Edmonton owns their AHL OKC and ECHL Bako. Swap them out. OKC draws very poorly for the AHL and had better attendance at the lower levels.

Anaheim doesn't own an AHL franchise. San Diego would be a good landing spot for anything they can come up with.

Phoenix doesn't own an AHL franchise. Some news reports the new ownership is desperate to build the brand in Arizona and have been looking at Tucson as landing spot for an acquired AHL franchise.

Teams that control their own destiny and my destination.

Calgary - Anchorage, Alaska
Edmonton - Bakersfield, California
Vancouver - Abbotsford, BC
Los Angeles - Ontario, California
San Jose - Fresno, California

ECHL West
Boise, Idaho
Stockton, California
West Valley, Utah
Las Vegas, Nevada
Fort Collins, Colorado
Rapid City, South Dakota