View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 04:33 PM   #542
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The problem is big business knows if they yell and complain the government will allow for more low wage immigrants to fill the void, and big business can continue raking in the profits.

At the same time I think people aren't being fair if they think everything is coming down to wages. I know quite a few companies hiring right now who would pay way above market value and they can't even get job interviews.

We are paying the price of decades long stupidity of driving our kids away from trade schools and skilled labor.
I think there’s an element of classism at play. Fewer and fewer native-born Canadians are willing to do arduous, unpleasant, low-status work. It’s considered a step back. A lot of people would prefer to live with their parents at 28 and pick up a few shifts a week at Earls or Best Buy than do something gross like work at a care home, load luggage at the airport, or build concrete frames. And many Boomers are financially secure enough (and families today small enough) that they can shield adult children from resorting to unpleasant work.

I hope salaries for a lot of these low-status jobs do improve. But our labour shortages in some industries are becoming chronic (ie trucking), and rooted as much in changing social attitudes and demographics as in low pay.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-04-2022 at 04:38 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote