View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'd tell you to run away from Xplornet, but you have next to no other options. My parents live outside of Okotoks and it's excruciating compared to what we've become accustomed to over the past 15 years in the city.

There are several factors, one important one being line of sight to the tower. The neighbour gets a reasonable signal, but his house blocks my parents from getting it. Even with a good connection, his business is online, so he has Xplorenet, Telus, and Bell all running into his house so he can handle the times one (or more) connection dies.

I'd say their speed ranges from 1-3 mbps on a good day. It's fine if you're checking email a few times a day. Streaming most anything is a no-go, so hopefully your job doesn't require a constant connection.

Another issue they've run into is data caps. The simple act of downloading an iPad update can eat 1/4 of their monthly allotment.

I know I sounds like a whiny teenager, but as they age and country living begins to take its toll, I find myself looking forward to them moving back into the city. It'll sure make my roll as their tech support analyst a lot easier.
That is my biggest fear. I do not have the patience for crap like 15-20-30 seconds to load a page, constant buffering, no netflix, etc. There has got to be an alternative provider, or else a way to keep them from throttling me. I read one thing that says to use a VPN, but someone else (who knows more about computers than I do) says that that's not logical.

I was hoping one of you smartie pants would tell me that it actually is possible.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote