View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #50
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Is your face buried in your dashboard in playground zones because it's so difficult to stay at 30 km/h?
Not at all, and I don't find that a huge problem.

But the guy going 60km/h in the playground zone, are his eyes glued to the parked cars because he knows there is a good chance of radar? Are they as likely to see a kid or animal jump out form the other side of the road?

I agree with you on the motorcycle noise issue too.

I'm not saying people that engage in these behaviors aren't reckless idiots. I'm saying that we don't improve safety by just saying "stop being a reckless idiot".

I think there are lots of ways to combat this. For one, I wish residential streets were built narrower in Calgary. It's pretty rare to find someone going 50km/h on an extremely narrow street. Design safety into things.

I guess the point is, so you find mobile photo radar increases or decreases road safety? Or neither?

If the answer is neither or decreases, would other things like permanent speed cameras, differently designed roads etc do a better job?

I don't think photo radar is the devil and killing children, I just really don't think its doing much to help anything besides generating income, and I wish things were done out of a safety motive instead.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote