Thread: 2018 NFL thread
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #1192
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I could only listen to it on radio, but Toni Bosseli was stating how the whole Browns team looked more energized when Mayfield came into the game. He also noted that he threw the ball really well, tight spiral, on target, and displayed good arm strength.

Sitting a guy for a year works if you have a good starter in place who knows the playbook and the system. Brett Farve, Drew Bledsoe, Drew Brees in San Diego and Alex Smith were all that type of player so it made sense to sit guys like Rivers, Mahomes and Rogers since they were clearly drafted as succession planning (in the case of the Chargers...stupidly). Brady was like the 199th pick, so he wasn't exactly expected to start from day one.

In the Browns case Mayfield doesn't have an entrenched starter in front of him. In that case if he is clearly the better player, than you have to play him. They should have enough pieces around him now where he doesn't have to go out and win it all by himself. I don't think he's Andrew Luck good, but if he can be Alex Smith like, the Browns with a better coach will eventually win some games. They have a decent defence and some other pieces in place now.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 09-22-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote