View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #5485
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I hear you. It is tough and it would still be tough with Keystone in place. Btw, why wasn't xl built during Trump administration? Is he BSing us?

Anyways not the point I'm trying to make. My point is that I would not trade off human rights, democracy, world order, rise of racism and general disregard for human good and total neglect of human decency for a pipeline. ###### Trump and his gang of criminals. More to life than a pipeline.
No Trump legitimately wants this finished. It stalled out because in 2018 an Obama appointed judge in Montana ruled against the Presidential permit being valid for some reason. This is the same judge that ruled against the pipeline again last month.

Obviously this election is out of our hands, the main hope is that if Biden is elected we can pressure him as a country to let this slide. I feel that the majority of reasonable Canadians that recognize economic and strategic realities can agree that this project needs to go ahead without having to agree on a preferable candidate to win the US election. So far everyone is saying the right things, which is a good start. I'm no fan of Trudeau but I'm at least objective enough to give him credit when he and his government do the right thing, and both his and Freeland's statements this morning were great and what we need. So props to them. I do think that if the rubber meets the road on this issue we'll need more forceful and vocal support from the Feds, possibly on the level of a tit for tat response threat to convince a Biden administration to back down. Certainly a much more vigorous response than the Liberals gave in 2015. Something like barring American lake shipping through the Welland Canal, that's the equivalent level of ####ery that Biden would be putting us through by retroactively blocking a pipeline that will be 1/3 finished by November. So we'll see if they come through then, hopefully they do.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote