View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #31
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with him except about Calgary's backups. Even there, I agree it's a concern, but I disagree that Calgary should be looking for backup help now. Calgary needs to find out what they have with a bigger NHL sample from Gillies or Rittich. The experienced backup thing with Lack was a failure and resulted in Smith playing too much. I think Rittich showed he can play a solid backup role (sure he couldn't handle emergency number one when Smith went down but he was perfectly fine as a backup).
Rittich was great when he wasn't penned as THE guy.

I think when Smith went down, there was some between the ears pressures that took Rittich off his game which was largely solid prior to switching seats. When you're a young guy that's not unheard of, and dropping the ball as a starter in the first season on an NHL roster probably shouldn't erase what he showed in a capacity of a backup. I'd say very few goalies are ready for that in year one. Don't know why Rittich should be chased out of town when he gave the Flames the best group of performances from a backup in years and years.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: