View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #3561
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Ok I'm having a moment. I'll admit plumbing is not my expertise but I'm still pretty handy and should be able to figure this out.

I have a shower head and tub faucet I want to change out and make more modern.

The current set I have is from an unknown manufacturer, there is nothing stamped anywhere on the old hardware. All I want to do is switch the shower head and tap to something more modern and a decent quality brand (Delta?)

I understand in regards to a shower there is no such thing as universal. Am I correct in assuming that large brass thing behind the hot/cold lever needs to be changed to a Delta (pic attached)

I got a quote from one Plumber and frankly I don't feel that this should be a $1700 job.
Yes the large brass thing needs to be replaced.

The hole is supposed to be big enough to replace it but because the fittings are always soldered you really don't have enough room to do it proper.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can do this yourself but it will involve cutting the copper lines as far back as practical, assembling a new valve without being able to test your fittings, and splicing it in place. Soldering is complex cause the valve acts as a heat sink and if you get it too hot you can bugger that up too (gut it before any heat goes on). So your plumber probably wants to take half the wall down and run new everything from the floor up, and with the amount of damage a water leak can cause who can blame him.

If you can take out some drywall and give yourself some space its much easier, I am trying to tell from the pic what you have for a tub surround.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post: