View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #4979
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I know what your saying but the prison guards here in Canada are no ####ing angels and they act the same . You say it's not about politics but it is police, milatary and prison guards are overwhelmingly conservative. The skill set between a cop and soldier is not as dramatic as you think. The police and a soldier in N.A are surprisingly on par whether they are ex military or not. If the ex military was a former seal then they would have the edge but the rest of the teaing is almost equal to milatary patrol of an occuping force. I can tell you from personal experience the mentality and training is the same as that of a military patrollling a area they "liberated " . We are viewed as the enemy they patrol. They are told in their daily briefings in this tone. I know this . I come from nothing but police,milatary and oil tycoons. I'm not the most popular family member at all right now.
Having spent 14 years working in a jail organising release plans I certainly know full well our corrections facilities leave alot to be desired.

As to your second point, a policeman aught to have a dramatically different skill set from a soldier, I would be the first to admit in N America they dont but that is the problem, I have spent my working life dealing with cops in both the UK and Vancouver and the difference is staggering really, the police in the UK have to be better because they just dont have the equipment or legal back up they have here

The other issue is the problem becomes pervasive into many areas, I'm a youth worker and got sent on de escalation training, sounded good in principle turned out to be a system set up by an ex green beret being used all over N America that focused intirely on choke holds and arm bars, the trainer was dumbfounded when I informed her I would never touch a kid under any circumstances and there was no situation that anything she was teaching me would ever be useful to me and further more I would be fired and sent to jail if ever did use it.

At the end of the week long training we left thinking 'these yanks are crazy!' while I have no doubt they were thinking 'those Canadians are nuts!'
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: