View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 05:11 AM   #4973
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I don't know if literally any not to crazy Adult can handle an Autistic person as easily as you think when they have a episode. It's not like in the movies or t.v shows where they bear hug them to get them under control.

My wife is a nurse and her specialty is carrying for people with autism. She has clients all over the spectrum. I've seen what she has to deal with at times and I can tell you a regular person nor most police officers have the neccessary tools to deal with people with mental disabilities. Depending on the type of disability to there are other medical conditions at play to alot of the times you need to be aware of to properly manage a situation. She does a wonderful job at it but shes got medical and psychology training to handle it. The police definitely don't have the training required. The way they are trained to deescalate won't work and if somethings already in progress their just going to try to forcibly get the situation under control by trying to get people in hand cuffs. That's not going to work with alot of the specteum and will escalate things quickly.
I'm sorry, this is still ridiculous.

I'm not asking for people to know exactly what to do, or the handle the situation perfectly. Trust me, been there done that, I know exactly what it is when an autistic "kid" has fit. Had to deal with one just two weeks ago, except this kid wasn't 13 but 18 and bigger than me, and as I have exactly zero training for this or use of force in general.

At no point did it cross my mind that maybe I should just try to kill the kid.

Perfect is not the bar. "Do better than literally shoot the kid you're supposed to be helping" is the bar, and I hold to my position that literally any two non-crazy adults would do better.

What you seem to be saying is that it's somehow understandable for "let's shoot the kid" to be a reasonable response to a situation you don't know how to handle, and that to me is insane.

Quote:
Becoming a police officer should be a 4 year degree like anything else. You want to weed out the bad apples you do that. I almost guarentee the bad ones most likely aren't going to either pass or complete 4 years of schooling
This we certainly agree on, although this is what we have in Finland and it's not like there's no police brutality here.

Just recently there was a scandal about five police officers beating an arrested man in his cell (at that point already handcuffed and not resisting at all), so badly that he almost died. The only reason this was discovered was because he almost died and needed medical checkup, and in the aftermath only one of the policemen involved was convicted, even though there were five people directly involved and five others stood by to watch the beating go down. (The cell surveillance video of the incident actually turned up, to most people's surprise.)

So it's not like things are perfect here. It's just way better.

Last edited by Itse; 09-12-2020 at 05:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: