View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #4971
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
My issue with vets in the police, even prison guards is not based on their politics so much as just how diametrically opposed the skill set of a soldier is to the skill set of a cop, soldiers are essentially taught to operate unthinkingly as part of a team that meets an objective by the use of escalating force as quickly as possible with almost no regard to the process, a good policeman needs to be very independent and flexible and able to reassess and adjust to a situation rapidly, while a policeman has to meet an objective how he gets to the objective is as important as the objective itself.

Police training in the US is completely dominated by a military perspective as well, it all becomes a feedback loop of increasing violence and inflexibility, most of the shootings we are talking about here are because a civilian didn't do as they were told, now I dont doubt there have been occcasions where the person that got shot for not obeying an order was a bad guy who would have done something bad if they hadnt been shot, but that doesn't make the decision making process in any way ok, for every one guy that was stopped from doing something heinous there are a hundred who wouldn't and are still dead
I know what your saying but the prison guards here in Canada are no ####ing angels and they act the same . You say it's not about politics but it is police, milatary and prison guards are overwhelmingly conservative. The skill set between a cop and soldier is not as dramatic as you think. The police and a soldier in N.A are surprisingly on par whether they are ex military or not. If the ex military was a former seal then they would have the edge but the rest of the teaing is almost equal to milatary patrol of an occuping force. I can tell you from personal experience the mentality and training is the same as that of a military patrollling a area they "liberated " . We are viewed as the enemy they patrol. They are told in their daily briefings in this tone. I know this . I come from nothing but police,milatary and oil tycoons. I'm not the most popular family member at all right now.