View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #3464
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Fans overuse the dump and chase argument, I think - every team does it. The question is, how much do they rely on it?

I think a more useful discussion is about how a team transitions, and moves from zone to zone.

I believe the Flames are most effective when they are utilizing a high-tempo transitional game. And they are least effective when they are moving zone to zone. Gulutzan had them moving as a 5 man unit from zone to zone, which is fine if you have a physical team that is good on the boards.

The Flames do not. They are best in an open-ice, up tempo game.

I do not yet know how Ward is going to have them play. there was too much zone to zone hockey for my liking this past year, but he took over mid-season, so I don't think we should hang that on him.
And I'm not sure why with Peters/Ward that the team midseason last year transition from one being a high-tempo that scored off the rush (which is how lots of teams score these days I feel), to a slower paced east-west transition team that has difficulty entering the zone. Especially when it comes to the PP.

North-south hockey I feel is the best, and most straightforward way to generate offense since you'll be having the defense play on the heel of their skates, or chasing, rather than getting the defense to set-up and contain the breakout. The team should be much more a quick strike team that as soon as they get puck, try to get an odd-man rush, or possibly a breakaway each and every time.

Obviously much more easier said than done, and requires to be much more aggressive defensively, and probably trust in your goaltender also incase of a breakdown, but with the higher risk, it could lead to higher reward. Johnny, and the rest of the offense is a lot more effective when they're able to generate solid chances off the rush, rather than trying to cycle a scoring opportunity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post: