View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #56
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
a. Calling a guy who is 35 and you think might score 40 better than a guy five years younger, who has scored better than that consistently over the last 10 years is a stretch.
I didn't say he is better. He was better five years ago.

I'm sure Kovalchuk has lost a step, but Neal is slowing down as well.

I think at this point they will both be guys that rely primarily on their shots to pick up points, and won't contribute much in other areas.

I would probably bet on Neal having the stronger season next year, but I wouldn't be shocked if it goes the other way.

Point for Calgary.

Quote:
b. Phaneuf shouldn't even count as an improvement but he's a solid second pairing defenceman. Ryan is a solid middle six centre/wing. They both solidify the middle of the lineup. It's a wash.
I'm ok with not counting him as an improvement if we are just focusing on off season acquisitions.

But when it comes to talking about which team will win the division I think having Phaneuf for the whole season as well as Carter coming back will give the Kings a pretty big boost to an already solid squad.

Either way a top four like Phaneuf is a bigger part of the team than a 2/3rd line forward.

Quote:
c. Are you calling Lindholm/Hanifin for Hamilton/Ferland a non-improvement? GG for Peters? The Czarnik acquisition?
I would say Lindholm/Hanifin for Hamilton/Ferland is a downgrade for this season on paper.

GG for Peters. Is it an upgrade? GG has a better win % in the NHL and made the playoffs once.

Czarnik like Peters falls into the category of hopeful improvement.

Anyway, my favorite to win the division this year is the Kings. I think its a fair statement that the Kings have improved as much as anyone in the division from last season to this season.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote