View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #48
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty good movie. I enjoyed the colour grading and handheld camera work. Phoenix was great. I'm not sure if the rest of the casting was the best. De Niro actually acted for once and didn't play himself, that is, until near the end when "De Niro" pretty much came out and ruined the character. Marc Maron also played Marc Maron and was unnecessary. I assume the character at the gate was Alfred, but he did not seem very Alfred-like. I agree with the others saying that the Waynes weren't portrayed in the right light, but I guess if it's coming from the Joker's viewpoint it makes more sense, and that might explain Alfred as well.

The timeline also is strange. Bruce looks about 10 and Joker looks about 38, so when they clash as Batman and Joker, Joker would be in his 50s... Which might be the case? but not in the Nolan movies.

I enjoyed the undertones of reflecting subjects that face today's society with the increasing wealth gap, rich politicians, violence, mental health, mob mentality, bullying, and others I'm probably missing.

I'm not a fan of superhero movies in general, but this is one that I really wanted to see, probably because it's not a typical superhero movie. It was a solid film, but for some reason, it fell a little flat for me... I think it was in the right direction, but it could have been pushed further, or maybe better casting would have done it (minus Phoenix of course, because he was fantastic.) 7.5/10

Last edited by badradio; 10-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote