View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #38
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Good tomato sauce starts with red onions and garlic fried in oil. I have a very expensive habit of using extra virgin olive oil for everything, so I'm biased about what oil to use. But I recently discovered that when making hot wings, using canola oil seems to work better than olive oil.

Oh, and cayenne is awesome. If you like spicy, add cayenne to anything you cook. Especially stuff that you simmer (like bolognese sauce).

Your cutting board is your best friend. Your cutting board and your vegetable cutting knife. You cannot shortcut.

Marinating steak is wayyy better than slopping BBQ sauce on it after cooking. A properly prepared steak requires no condiments afterward. Worcestershire sauce is crucial.

For a really awesome salad dressing that isn't balsamic vinegar and olive oil, try the following:

white vinegar, olive oil, mustard... Sorta part for part (to taste)
chopped raw onions
chopped celery
wor sauce (just a bit)
seasoning salt
pepper
lemon juice (just a bit)

Add lettuce, consume, then come back to this thread and thank me.

It does indeed because canola oil, also peanut oil, sesame oil among other oils, all have a higher smoke point than olive oil. They also tend to be lighter oils so they don't impart the taste of the oil into the foods you are cooking.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote