View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #30
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay....this thread is my new home away from home. Cooking....the second most awesome force in the universe after the Flames.

A couple years ago I splurged and upgraded my "standard equipped" kitchen to a "foody grade" kitchen. Gone were the Electric stove (especially stove top), the cheap collection of crappy pans, all the department store knives, the too small fridge. Added were All-Clad pans, Shun knives (oh my....Shun knives....so awesome), Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel gas range with electric convection oven, Kitchen Aid stand mixer, Cuisinart Food processor, and an assortment of other accessories.

Since then, I have been gradually working towards mastering fundamental techniques and have really developed a massive appreciation for James Beard. His "Theory and Practice of Good Cooking", "Beard on Food", "The Fireside Cook Book" and "American Cookery" are all wonderful. I also get a pile of mileage out of the Americas Test Kitchen Family Cookbook which goes into some nice detail about pitfalls to avoid, or best practices to absorb.

Best thing learned so far is an appreciation for high-quality fresh ingredients and simple but honest and accurate preparation.

Tomorrow is Beef Bourguinon day. I am distrubingly excited about it.

Great thread idea. I shall be camping out here.

Last edited by Biff; 02-15-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote