View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #45
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard from enough people that FC Edmonton will be one of the initial teams when CPL launches to believe it. Their owner has been going to CPL meetings, and it's really the only place for them to go if they don't completely fold up shop, as they are nowhere close to being in consideration for an MLS club (no city in Canada is even close), and refuse to go to USL.

That said, their owner has said that FC Edmonton will not return if the club is not sustainable. The club has always looked to be on death watch from the moment they launched, but it seemed they were starting to turn things around with the hiring of Jay Ball as GM. So this seems to indicate they may not be in CPL when the league launches.

https://the11.ca/fath-fc-edmonton-wi...e-sustainable/

Quote:
But what it doesn’t mean is that FC Edmonton is a slam-dunk entry into the Canadian Premier League, either. That league is expected to get off the ground in 2019, but Fath said if he is to reactivate the professional part of the franchise, he needs to know things will be different.

“Of all the years we have been in the league, how many times did we sell out?” he asked. (A couple of times.)

So, is there a future for the Eddies? This is how Fath looks at it.

“As for the Canadian Premier League, I love the idea, I think it’s important for Canada. But what we require is it to be sustainable. We need to be sustainable. Whatever we do, it won’t be USL. And the NASL is not sustainable in Edmonton.”

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote