View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #1667
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
All I'm saying is there's no free lunch. If you're ok with jobs being outsourced, you should be be prepared to face the consequences.
I've lost jobs because of outsourcing. Of course it sucks. All I'm saying is I don't begrudge the guy in Costa Rica that was super pumped to get a job that let his family live a little better, lucky for him, unlucky for me that day.

I'm super thankful and content living in a peaceful, safe place where I'm essentially living like a king by the global standard. I just see a global situation of inequality, and know that those have a way of ebbing and flowing. I don't treat my current situation as necessarily permanent, or something I take for granted. Someone else will get their turn eventually at the expense of currently prosperous places to some extent. Empires rise and fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
This seems like a really weird conversation to have in the YYCCC transgressions thread.

Something like 80% of India's politicians are millionaires, and some are into the billions. So in many of these countries where the ruling class live like kings while their citizens have a considerably lower quality of life, it falls to *checks notes* Canada to help fix it? How is Canada going to fix systemic inequality in countries that could take steps to fix it themselves and don't because the people in charge don't want to?
Agreed it's not the right thread for this, so I'll piss off after. I never implied it's Canada's job to fix India. But if some dude in India can do my job better than me, he deserves it. I shouldn't keep it just because I'm "Canadian".

Every time I've been driven in a taxi by a person who used to be a bank executive or an engineer, but they are kept from contributing to society to the best of their ability because we have protectionist labour policies, I get a bit annoyed on their behalf.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote