Thread: 2017 Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #187
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to Austin once. It was the last year of the V8 formula and I'm glad I got feel those engines. I haven't been able to hear a V6 hybrid live, but hearing a V8 zip past is indescribable.

We sat at the end of the long DRS straight leading towards the infeild section. That was basically all we could see. Lots of overtaking right in front of us, but could not see the start or much else of the circuit.

I've been to most other forms of high level Motorsport in North America including IndyCar, NASCAR, World of Outlaws, Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model and a bunch of short track dirt tracks around the upper Midwest. F1 is a spectacle unlike any other. Everything was timed down to the minute. The on track time for practice is limited to the point that they make maximum use of it. As an example, if Free Practice starts at noon local time, the moment the giant Rolex clocks they have positioned around the circuit strike noon, the cars are screaming out of the pits. There is a reason that the Sky Sports coverage shows the clock on race day before they scroll through the grid, that's exactly how it happens. It's all highly choreographed. It really is a finely tuned event.

We turned up on Thursday to grab our tickets from will call and were able to walk the track, not sure if you can do this anymore or not. The teams were all set up in the paddock and we were able to watch Ferrari practice pit stops which was pretty incredible to see up close. We were able to walk the track post race as is normal custom for F1. The hike from the grid up to turn 1 is incredible. It's not easy to walk up, let alone race a car.

We took the shuttle from downtown Austin, so am unable to comment on parking or travel to and from the track. Shuttle was very fast, but you had to walk about a mile (or more depending on where you were sitting) to get to the track. The amenities are very nice, but everything is so, so expensive. Once you prepare yourself for that, it's quite the experience.

I'll see if I can dig some pictures or videos up online that I took from our seats.