View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #1326
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Hi guys, spitballing here so bear with me. Input would be welcome.
Inglewood (close to river path south of Blackfoot) to Whitehorn, any suggestions for which route is best in the winter? Follow Deerfoot along he west side, or hop over using the new transit cooridor and take that path system (never taken it further north than Memorial)?
Also, a regular cross country bike on fresh snow? It's been so many years since I've sone that I can't even remember if it's actually viable for a reasonable commute.

I ask for two reasons: I am debating selling my only winter capable car and would be cycling or transit, and;
I have a fat bike that I purchased with the best of intentions. It's been babies and stored after a few rides. I am trying to determine if I should keep it or sell it.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Your best bet is to stick to paths as much as possible. I don’t know what is north and east of 17th ave once you cross over Deerfoot on the new path along the transitway. I’ve taken it and ridden by Max Bell but not east of there. Not in a long time anyway.

I’d go around the weir crossing to the east side of the river at Blackfoot and head north to Nose Creek. Take that to fox hollow and then ride toward 23rd St. Then navigate through some of the quieter side streets. That’s not going to be fun in the winter though since you’re going to be stuck with rutted roads which is pretty hazardous. The NE is pretty under serviced for pathways unfortunately. I think Bigtime can better comment on the state of things in the NE but he doesn’t have to go much east of Deerfoot.
I'd agree with Kermitology. Stick to the pathways as much as possible, at least you know the major ones will get cleared after snowfall. The pathway on the east side of the Bow around the weir is fully paved now, so that should make it much better for riding in the winter. Nose creek north and up the fox hollow hill and cross deerfoot over the bridge, after that I only ride to 12th street so I'm not as familiar with points further east. You could ride 12th street northeast right up to McKnight, from there a new pathway goes along McKnight eastbound all the way to 36th street and then curves south taking you right to Whitehorn. You are going out of your way a little farther north doing this route, but it keeps you on pathways and off side roads which could get nasty in the winter (like kermitology said). Or you could go from 12th street to 27th avenue and then go north on 19th to get to the McKnight pathway. I ride 19th street sometimes for extra long morning rides when its nice out. It got repaved last year and is in excellent shape.

Edit: We need habernac to jump in here, as he commutes into that Sunridge area and probably has some good tips and routes.

Last edited by Bigtime; 10-09-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: