View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #207
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It will be good if social media platforms stark taking social responsibility seriously and suspend all people making threats and calls to violence. But if this is applied selectively and along culture wars lines, it will give credence to the claims of conservatives that the media and tech are conspiring against half of America. Which will only add fuel to the fires of division and hate.

Whenever you cheer on an institution's power to suppress your enemies, stop and consider if those powers could be used against you. I don't have any difficulty imagining a timeline where Silicon Valley giants suppress speech by a future Bernie Sanders. Will we still be applauding the freedom of private companies to police their platforms as they see fit then?
Well if a future Bernie tells a mob of neckbeards to storm the Capitol and overturn a legal election, then I'll be ok with future Bernie being blocked from a private company's platform. If he get's banned for pimping universal medicare, then I'll be concerned.

Last edited by Red Ice Player; 01-10-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post: