View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Definitely.

But they also notice things that advanced stats struggle to quantify. Here are some things that NHLers can contribute that advanced stars do not notice as easily as a scout would:
I'm going to go ahead and bet we can come up with a widely used metric that would, in fact, take into account each of these... let's see!

Quote:
-Taking a hit to make a play (could show up as a turnover or a loss of possession if one fails to take a hit and instead turns it over)
Typically one does this to move the puck up, so we'll call that zone exits, but it obviously factors into possession stats, too, given that the puck is in the other guys' zone more if you're able to do this.
Quote:
Tying up a forward in front of the net in order to reduce or remove chances at tipping or rebounds.
This one's easy - HDCA (or HDCF%).
Quote:
Moving a forward from the from of the net to prevent screens, tips and rebounds
Same as above, reducing high danger chances.

Screens, though, I'll grant - I'm not aware of a tool that would track that, although typically the people screening the goalie are also the ones tipping in pucks and banging in rebounds, so it's probably correlated.
Quote:
Rubbing a forward out along the boards to prevent possession or cycling
Pretty obviously influences possession metrics - in fact you just said it does.
Quote:
General offensive and defensive positioning
Obviously accounted for. Ever seen a shot heat chart? Also leads into xGF% and plenty of other things, but no need to get that far when actual positioning is tracked routinely for every game.
Quote:
Advanced stats have come a long way. But they’ll need to measure a lot more things before we can ever start to talk about them replacing the eye test.
No one will ever suggest this and no one credible ever has.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote