View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #1826
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I've use a SON dynamo hub before for bikepacking. I would just caution that you need to average 14 or 15 kph at least in order to charge anything. This sounds really slow, like who can't average 14 or 15 kph, but if you are mountain biking in serious terrain with a 70lb bike, it can be very difficult. I had a dynamo on the bike I took to South America but it was basically useless because I could only average 11kph. If you are doing road riding or are a strong bikepacker, it shouldn't be an issue.

Which dynamo hub are you getting and which charger?

I had my SON dynamo installed when they built my wheels, I don't think it came with any cabling at all. I have a sinewave cycles beacon that I used as headlight and charger and I believe that came with the cabling necessary.
Generally, the cabling should come with the light or charger you buy, not on the dynamo side.

I bought some stuff from these guys: https://store.biketouringnews.com/co...on-sl-son-hub/

They know more about dynamos than most bike shops would and were quick to respond when I was dealing with them a few years ago and they have lots of Dynamo related parts.

If you have any other questions just let me know.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote