View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #58
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
That's the right way to look at things IMO.

Treliving's moves over the offseason suggest he's going all in. He's traded away most of the top picks for 2018 and 2019 to acquire a D-man in his prime and a starting goalie.

Trading away their 3rd best forward is going against the grain of his apparent plan based on recent actions.
I would actually say that Treliving hasn't gone all-in yet. Smith has been the exception to the rule this off-season, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

The rest of his moves have involved either trading picks for established but young players (Stone, Hamilton, Hamonic, Lazar) or trading older players for picks (Glencross, Hudler) or trading older prospects for slightly younger prospects/picks (Granlund and Baertschi).

Smith is the definite exception. Elliott was SUPPOSED to work out and stick around a number of years as well last year.

I would classify 'all-in' when a team starts trading futures for a 'win now' mentality. Calgary I believe is still hovering around 'be a favorite for the playoffs and try to make noise'.

I do agree that trading Backlund away does indeed go against the grain there, either for a 'win-now' or a 'win in a few seasons' standpoint.

It will be interesting to see how Treliving adjusts to a compete 'win now' mode.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote