View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #44
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Backlund's cap hit is already a higher 3.57/per. Adding 1.5-2m to that isn't going to break the Flames cap structure. Yes tough decisions need to be made but the center ice positions is one where I'm willing to be spend more. Stajan's 3.125 is off the books this summer, when Backlund's extension will start, even half of that to Backlund still leaves over a million to play with.

Currently they have just over seven million to toy with, with only Bennett left to sign. They've got the room to play. If Treliving really feels like our "window" is starting he's not jettison Backlund for picks.
I'm not certain if you're approaching the salary issue in the right manner. You need to be thinking three to five years out when you're signing players. Sure, the Flames have space right now, but what happens when Tkachuk is up? What happens when the next group of bridge deals are done? What is that effect in the salary structure? Treliving's job is to project into the future and have a good idea how his players are going to look, and have that factored into the salary structure. Overpaying a guy this year, on a multi-year deal, hurts your ability to retain players down the road. There's a little bit if three dimensional chess at play, and you really need to trust your projections, especially where players are most likely to shake out. I hope they can somehow keep Backlund, but they need to find a number that works long term. Odds are Bennett and Tkachuk both need big raises before Backlund's next deal is up.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote