View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #51
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
I see...

So we can criticize the PP coach because the PP isn't successful but can't criticize the Goalie coach because the goaltending is poor because we don't know what the goalie coach is doing behind the scenes?

This is a futile argument... essentially it comes down to I think that the goaltending coach is on his last legs and needs to prove himself and you don't. You can disagree, but telling me that I can't criticize isn't going to fly.
The two don't parallel in the slightest. The powerplay coach chooses the systems and players to utilize. This can be tweaked in game, in period. Players who are looking "off" or "on" in a particular game can be rotated onto or off of the powerplay. The units can change period to period or game to game. The systems can change. The coach has a major and obvious effect on the powerplay.

The goalie coach is there to help the goalies practice and fine tune minor points of their games. As he says in the article he's not making any major tweaks to their game. His influence is subtle and nearly impossible for us to detect. But the responsibility for their performance lays at the feet of the goalie. The goalie coach does not have a controller he uses to control the goalie. He's not making in period adjustments to the goalie.

I think it's pretty easy to see why fans have enough information to criticize in one case and not the other.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-13-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote