View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Interesting piece from the CBC here: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6208196

While they're generally pro-academia this is very much a "lots of problems" article.

Specifically, that universities have reduced funding to education to focus on research, and are very dependent on part time/sessional labour to actually teach. But probably the biggest problem the article alleges is that institutions aren't succeeding at their twin core missions of teaching students to think critically or preparing them for the labour force.

No real suggestions were given on fixing the problem, other than maybe this quote: "Grace Cameron, a classmate of Liu's in Women and Gender Studies at U of T, said she'd like to see free tuition for students and greater pay for adjunct lecturers and graduate students."

That doesn't seem likely to fix the underlying issues to me, but it would certainly cost a lot of money.

I don't claim to have answers here. I am not employed in engineering any more, but don't regret my degree. I did learn critical thinking skills that I use regularly, and it did get me a good job for many years. But my sense is that those are proving true for less and less students.

What say you CP?
no idea, but free tuition is never going to happen.
Look at Alberta. Government funding was at an all time low even before the UCP then went and gutted it even more.

There just isn't any money. I don't know how you can fix the system and fix it on the cheap.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote