Thread: [Game Takes] Flames 5 Kings 2
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
It's weird how Brouwer-Versteeg keep ending up on the poor end of advanced stats, they don't put up a lot of points, get loads of flak from the fan-base and yet that line got the most ice time for the team. Versteeg ended up over 18 minutes and 3 point Johnny/Money didn't even break 15.

I don't know to take that. Is GG resting his guys with the lead, is it trust and ability of the veterans to shut down the game in the third or crazy pills. It seemed to work and I tend to think this is the time of the year where that experience makes a difference on winning games over scoring points, but I just can't understand why you basically bench your top line when they are putting up points like that.
I think with Versteeg and Brouwer they just have not found a fit on this team with any particular line, hence why you see a "spare parts" line of 3 veterans, these two with Stajan.

However, come playoff time, veteran savvy may come in handy. Maybe try Versteeg with Bennett and Lazar to see if he can work well with those two guys, but Brouwer just hasn't clicked.

His signing is reminiscent of Mason Raymond - signed to provide middle 6 depth, but made redundant by emerging prospects. I liked the signing back in summer, but see less to like about it now as he has not settled in well. I think he gets exposed so Lazar can be protected. Then the Flames likely get out of that contract without having to worry about carrying a lot of cap hit in the bottom 6.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote