View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if that is something that is simply making something out of nothing.

it was a comment from one athlete that watched her team mate, a legend in gymnastics, endure a lot of pressure and blowback when she made a decision that was best for her.

I think the comment she made was misrepresented, as she clearly said "We" not "I" in that interview. She was talking about the US gymnastics team and not her as an individual. No different than hockey/football/basketball players saying they play for the guys in the locker room is it?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420410946951032840

Athletes aren't robots - there's certainly a degree of selfishness that has to be there in order to be an Olympic Champion... I am sure Chinese athletes are all about country above personal gain - pretty sure that's not better either.

The only way that this opinion has any weight is going through all the American athletes interviews and parsing them for evidence of this tribalism/selfishness he is hypothesizing not taking one athlete's comments out of context and applying it to all athletes.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote