View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was just coming here to say something similar to what in the blue hell was that?

The weird thing is I swear this was the retelling of Calypso from the Odyssey where Odysseus lands on an island and meets Calypso who's a nymph and she falls in love with him and basically imprisons him on the Island and tries to force him to fall in love with her.

In this case Zora is Calypso and Craft Odysseus.

In the Odyssey Calpyso keeps Odysseus on the Island for 7 years, by he eventually decides that he wants to go home to his wife. In the book Hermes shows up and tells Calpyso to let him go, and she helps him build a boat for his voyage.

While some parts of the film work were really well done and the voice of Zora was charming and sad, the whole thing just struck me as a lame retelling of a classic, and I sometimes get really mad when people retell a classic while refusing to honor the depth of the story.

I also felt like the whole thing was some kind of sappy sentimental setup for the final punch line when Craft tells her if they were lovers she'd give him his name.

I'm not sure if this is a risk that they didn't live up to or if the writers just refused to do justice to what could have been a neat little retelling.

What's next, the merchant of venice on Discovery? Maybe a retelling of Othello with Jason Isaacs returning to resume the role of honest Iago (one of my favorite literary characters by the way)

While this was certainly better then the first short and just weird enough to make you think, it was still to me a bit of a let down execution wise.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: