View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess my biggest problem with discovery is around the characters more then anything else. they're either flat or unlikeable. I get that Tilley is suppossed to be the fun sympathetic nervous character, but I don't know whether the actress is over doing it, or the scripting is bad, but she's more annoying then sympathetic.

Lets look at the characters for a second.

Michael - I get that she's part vulcan and supposed to sort of kind of be in emotional control. However she's a flat, boring and really unsympathetic character. The writers didn't help her with the stupidity of the mutiny story line. Her romantic scenes last year were just laughably bad. Martin-Green has never been an actress, and shooting her to be the star of the franchise is just terrible.

Saru - Has some interesting moments, and Doug Jones is a good actor playing characters under heavy makeup. The fear thing was kind of interesting, but lets be honest, the writing has again failed him. When you look at other Star Treks with their supporting characters or first officers they get really rounded out and make them seem indispensible. Saru is not that.

Ash Taylor - I can't judge the actor on this role. But the whole Klingon story line was inconceivably hackney, the makeup on the characters was so heavy that the actors couldn't act. As Ash Taylor he was ok, but really just a scene filler as a Klingon spy that blows his cover.

Staments - He was actually one of the best of the bunch. But the writers again, one week he's a ahole, the next week he's sympathetic.

Tilley - I've said enough, she's good in really short bursts, but overall I think they expect her to be the breakout character of the show.

Lorca - I love Jason Isaacs, he can make any character look good, and he pulled it off for the first half of the season, he was a smart aggressive Captain with just enough humanity to make him sympathetic. Then they made him a villain, forgot to slap on a mirror universe Goatee and gave him the most moronic death in the history of ever and basically wasted a whole season of decent character development.

Detmer - They had such a great story just sitting there with her that its frustrating. She was a crew member with Michael and out of everyone that survived Detmer had the biggest reason to outright hate her. Instead they had her crawling back to Michaels table, gave her next to no dialogue and hoped that everyone would think she's the Chekov of the crew.

Georgiou - Michelle Yeoh is a horrifyingly bad actress. She's basically a two by four with those googly doll eyes attached to them. The Empress role just felt like a huge opportunity not taken. But she was so cringe worthy that it just felt like she was reading que cards in a monotone voice half the time. Hopefully she stays lost in the underworld and they don't bring her or Voq back this year.

I have some hope, I mean they fired pretty much everyone that they could creatively including the writing staff, even though the whole Captain Pike Enterprise thing almost dooms this show to being one long fan service, especially bringing in Spock, and probably his evil twin mirror universe brother Spork. Its Trek and you have to be optimistic that new fresh writing will make the show interesting, especially if Pike takes one look at Michael and demotes her to waste disposal where we'll see her in background emptying garbage cans. However this short didn't do a lot for me so who knows.

I can see if the rating suffer that Pike will slowly replace members of the discovery crew with members of the enterprise crew.

"Yo Saru we don't need you as an XO, I've got my main man Spock here for that job" Then as Saru slinks off the bridge Pike and Spock chst bump. "Detmer I want you to meet super helmsman Sulu" Hetero high five between Pike and Sulu. "Yo Stamets I know your busy and I'm gonna let you get at it, but without those bugs navigating we don't need you in engineering, meet my main man Scotty" . . . . etc. Then Discovery will blow up and the crew will evacuate to the Enterprise.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 10-06-2018 at 01:01 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote