View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #63
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Yeah.......I didn't get it. And wasn't really entertained.

For me, Tilley is pretty much the only character on Disco I really like and this seemed exceptionally mundane. The cafeteria scene wasn't funny at all and I couldn't understand the choices that were being made because they just weren't Starfleet. Ugh, Discovery in a nutshell.

Other notes:

1. Interesting that my PVR was set to record it when it was listed as Star Trek: Discovery but suddenly the name changed to Star Trek: Short Treks so it wasn't recorded.

2. For some reason, one of my biggest pet peeves on the show is the holographic telephone. I'm not 100% canon guy but it was a big deal with the Defiant installed theirs 120 years later.

Plus what does the person on the other end do? Walk around their own house? How does Tilley's mum see her desk then? Ugh.

They certainly didn't have holographic technology in TOS, nor in Enterprise, I don't even remember the Federation having it in TNG or Voyager.

If you had that tech, you wouldn't need a view screen on a starship. You could just have a holographic emitter on the bridge.

I just find that Tilley works in short short bursts, but her flightiness jittering just gets annoying in longer exposures. But that's the problem with the show, the characters just aren't that intriguing or all that deep. They could have done so much with Jason Issacs who's frankly amazing, but even that in the end fell flat because he died like an idiot.

I get what they're trying to do with the Shorts which is to reboot the characters a bit and make them deeper, but this episode didn't really make Tilley all that interesting, instead she looked completely ADD and a bit whiny about the Command Program, and in the end when she said "that she had gotten past something or another" it felt like a throw in line where as a viewer you had to do a insert here in terms of what she left behind.

I think a cooler story line really would have been a accident in her department that leaves them sealed off from the ship with all of their lives in jeopardy and Tilley finds a way past her nerves to become a leader and command a team.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: