View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #89
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Maybe things were different in Finland, but in Canada stories about Jackson's bizarre behaviour weren't confined to celebrity gossip - they were front page news.
Yeah, that too probably makes a difference. In fact, I think our whole culture has a pretty different relationship towards celebrities. We generally don't make as big of a fuss, and their private lives tend to be more contained to the gossip sections and magazines.

Quote:
Oprah's interview with Jackson in 1993 was the most watched television interview ever.
We don't get Oprah. Or most other US talk shows for that matter. Of course now people can watch some of them on the interwebs.

Really the only US talk show host that was in any way mainstream popular in Finland was Conan O'Brien when he was still on Late Night. No, I can't explain why him specifically

EDIT: I think most of the world is the same in that we tend to get news (or "news") about US celebrities (who are still often massively popular outside the US) filtered through local news sources, which adds a level of obfuscation and uncertainty as to what's actually true and confirmed.

Last edited by Itse; 03-10-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote