View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Isn't that all really determined solely by the victim?

For instance, some may agree with you, but I find it disturbing and arrogant to say "(as someone not involved in the incident) I don't think the victims were that victimized", therefore he should get a pass. Do you think the victims give a rat's ass about some external socio-cultural scale? Should they? Because that's where focus should be in these situations: the victims. Perhaps even moreso since Louis didn't deny any of it.

Or because he talked about it in his act it's in line with his character: to be a creepy abuser. A lot of comedians and entertainers say some truly outrageous things, often to entertain. But as Jim Jefferies said, "There's what I think is funny, and what I think is funny to say." Louis CK blurred that line, and it's more upsetting to me than it is entertaining. If Jefferies actually treated women the way he talks about in his act I certainly wouldn't find him funnier for it. In fact I would stop consuming his art. And I consider myself a huge Jim Jefferies fan.

I guess we still have a long way to go.
No, I don't think it's up to the sole discretion of a victim in any circumstance to define the level of victimization. That is something we need to determine as a collective. If you cut me off in traffic, I can't go ballistic because I feel I've been deeply wronged. That would be an inappropriate reaction on my part. It's like the backlash against Aziz Ansari's accuser. She had a bad date, but tried to #metoo Ansari over it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote