View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
But 25,7000 jobs lost weren't minimum wage jobs. That number is the entire service sector, there were more jobs lost in Finance and Insurance than there were in Accommodations and Food Service, and I don't believe a minimum wage hike is affecting the Finance industry very much. There is also the effect that as better jobs become available, especially in the good-producing sector than people will leave the lower paying positions to move up.

I am not trying to argue that the minimum wage has had no effect, you can tell with rising prices at restaurants and lower staffing levels that it has. How much the minimum wage is directly attributable to job losses is a lot harder to define. Maybe for the 8,300 lost in the A&F industry, but I think its much more of a stretch for the whole service sector.
Yeah well I would agree that not every job lost in Alberta is as a result of the increased minimum wage. It’s interesting to me that insurance and financial sectors have those decreases actually. I wonder if that is as a result of cost cutting at the banks or where it stems from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I’d argue it’s no more intellectually dishonest than cherry picking data from one region and using that as the basis for your argument that the increase to the minimum wage was the root cause of the job losses. If that were the case we wouldn’t have seen a overall increase in employment in that industry across the province. It’s about as silly as saying the jobs lost in the finance industry were also a result of the minimum wage increase.
You mention the cherry picking of data, and I can accept that. But then you use one report from the government with nothing broken down at all. So fairs, fair. Calgary is the largest market in the province, and clearly an enormous impact on the overall provincial situation. If small businesses here claim that there are job losses and reduced work for people due to the wage increases, I think it’s incumbent on politicians to take it into account.

I know that you’re the resident NDP apologist, so you won’t acknowledge this. But the fact is people said that this was coming, and it’s happening. You might say the number of job losses is being blown out of proportion or it was actually 25,000 it was more like 15,000 and to that I would ask how many are acceptable? You’re a labour guy, so clearly you have to agree that more people working is better for everyone?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: