View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #29
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Not if the actual risk of getting sick is overhyped and actually pretty small to begin with. In that type of situation, a vaccine program would be more profitable. I am not against vaccines in general. I just don't think they are always necessary.
Could you give some examples of an unnecessary vaccine?

Are any children still getting small pox vaccines?

We are actually getting close to eradicating polio on a global basis; there are only a couple countries in Africa left that are dealing with it. Once that happens I would expect that polio will be removed from the vaccine schedule.

Quote:
People have a right to do whatever they want.
In which country is this? I am glad I do not live in it.

As far as vaccines go, you are correct. However we would be better off to require people who opt out to pay for any damages caused to society if they act as carriers to vulnerable populations.

Quote:
I have nothing against people getting vaccinated if that is what they want. I was vaccinated for H1N1 myself. If people don't want to be vaccinated or have their kids vaccinated, that is their choice... no need to get all preachy on them.
There is lots of need to get 'preachy', and even occasional need to get 'snarky' or 'angry'.

Quote:
You basically asked me for evidence and then made the same claim. People can have adverse reactions to vaccines. It's well documented and I am not going to the research for you. The frequency is not the issue if the vaccines program in question is unecessary to begin with. In that case, any frequency is too high.
Yes, and we have a good understanding of the likelihood and severity of each complication. Also, those complications have been judged to be less severe, as a whole, than those caused by each disease in question.

What evidence do we have that there are unnecessary vaccinations, beyond your gut?

Quote:
I do, but thanks for asking.
Maybe the fault then lies in an misunderstanding of probabilities.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote