View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #118
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
IMO, open box/display models are no problem. Refurb though, that's not something I would roll the dice on. Refurbs have awful warranty restrictions that IMO are not worth it and it's easy for a tech to figure out whether a unit is a refurb.

Open box and display units though? I love those and target those as much as possible. They're just the normal units with a damn nice discount because it's not pristine from the manufacturer. You're going to open and use it anyways. You get a head start to see if any issues arise and thus are better situated to use the manufacturer's warranty if you unlucky with the unit you end up with. You essentially can get a repair to new/replacement situation before the typical "time to replace the tv" phase. This essentially potentially extends the life of the TV for a slightly longer duration and you get a discount on a ubiquitous unit in the product line.
I have a different view on the refurb stuff lately. Chances are, if there's a refurb, there was a defect in the manufacturing process (bad run of parts, error in certain batch). So even if you buy new, you could still be subject to that same defect. A refurb is generally "re-certified" by the manufacturer as well, so it could be considered new again.

I bought my TV from these guys:
https://www.tvoutlet.ca

have never had a problem with it, they provide warranty as well (can't vouch for it, since I haven't had to use it). But it saved me a ton of money buying through here! My TV was $4000 when it first launched, I bought a refurb at the end of the year when new models were just starting to come out, and I was able to snag one for $1500. (check out the Samsung QLED models on there, good prices)
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote