View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #137
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So you are saying the team who has the 2nd best GAA in the NHL is getting hurt defensively by a guy that averages under 10 minutes a night? Not really at all true is it?

Again...you bring MP up to play 4th line....who does he play with that would allow him to use his talents? He wont be hard to play against, he wont have the same offensive talent to play with, will not get the same situational advantages he has in Stockton, and all this at a level he is not familiar with enough to have succeeded in before.

MP may have a role in the NHL if his size doesn't hinder him, no question.

That role is NOT as a grinder/hard to play against 4th liner who will hit, fight and do whatever the coach calls for. That's why Ritchie and Richardson make more sense than a tiny offensively gifted forward.

Its all about roles/places on the team. Its proven to be pretty successful during Sutters coaching career.
While I don't disagree with your point, if Phillips were to be brought up, I would assume it would be in a role where he could in fact help and succeed.

Last night's lines:

(top 6 fine)
Lucic - Monahan - Dube
Lewis - Ruzicka - Ritchie

If you bring in Phillips, the 3rd line makes more sense, and you can run with something like:

Dube - Monahan - Phillips
Lucic - Ruzicka - Lewis

4th line maintains its truculence, and the 3rd line gets faster and better offensively.

I am not sold on Phillips, but if he were brought up, I would hope it would be in a capacity more like this.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote