View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #125
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Well Matthew Phillips drives play on the Heat's top line. He's also defensively responsible - comfortable in his own end. I'd also argue that he's the most consistent out of the Heat's top line.

Plus, he's quite disciplined. Only Zary and Pettersen have fewer PIMs among regular forwards, and both of these guys have played way fewer games/minutes.

Yamamoto averages 38 points per 82 games in his career so far. I wouldn't call that useless. And I'd blame a lot of his shortcomings on the Oilers' ineptness with development and usage.

I agree that one dimensional, small, skill-only players probably shouldn't be in the bottom 6.
But Phillips is actually one of the more all-around players on the Heat. And there's no reason this "toy" can't play with much larger players and help them produce offense while maintaining possession.
All fair and good points except one. Philips won't be playing with Conner McDavid. He'd be playing with Backlund or Monahan.

Does Yamamotto get .4 pts a game on any other team? And the eye test on him is telling as well. It's a big fast physical league and I'd argue that with McDavid or Draisaitl he should have .6-.7 pts a game.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote