View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #124
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
The kid is one of three players in Stockton with a point a game in the AHL.

He is NOT Gaudreau by any stretch and he isn't even as big as fricken Yamamotto. Yamamotto is useless at the NHL level. Not buying what Philips fans are selling. I don't see him as an upgrade on Ritchie or Lewis at all. To be sure I could see Gawdin coming up.

If your going to be that small in the NHL you better bring 1-2 line talent no room for a dinky toy on a fourth line.
Well Matthew Phillips drives play on the Heat's top line. He's also defensively responsible - comfortable in his own end. I'd also argue that he's the most consistent out of the Heat's top line.

Plus, he's quite disciplined. Only Zary and Pettersen have fewer PIMs among regular forwards, and both of these guys have played way fewer games/minutes.

Yamamoto averages 38 points per 82 games in his career so far. I wouldn't call that useless. And I'd blame a lot of his shortcomings on the Oilers' ineptness with development and usage.

I agree that one dimensional, small, skill-only players probably shouldn't be in the bottom 6.
But Phillips is actually one of the more all-around players on the Heat. And there's no reason this "toy" can't play with much larger players and help them produce offense while maintaining possession.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post: