View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #1001
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
It's a big haul if all these guys pan out, which in baseball is never going to happen. I'd bet a lot of money Guerrero will be the only one of those guys listed which will make any impact at the MLB level.

That's the cost of acquiring a player to put you over the top though. The thing about McCutcheon, is you can easily move him a year down the road to replace the prospects you gave up. The Yankees do this to perfection.
If it puts you over the top, sure. But they're past that point I think we can all agree. It's now about maximizing their window to compete for postseason, but should not come at the expense of the future.

Even if one of those prospects pans out - let's say Guerrero Jr. has an EE-like career - it's a huge loss for the Jays in the sense they're getting a declining all-star not blessed with the tools that once made him great. And that alone won't be pushing the Jays over the top.

I can understand what the Pirates are looking to acquire in a trade dealing 'cutch, but I believe any team making that trade will rue the day they parted with what it took to get him.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote